Options for High Schoolers
General Education Certificate
Courses offered in the Reynolds Community College General Education Certificate are equivalent to the first year of general education coursework that students take at four-year colleges and universities. The General Education Certificate is:
- Intended for high school juniors and seniors in the
Reynolds Community College service area.
- 33 general education credits.
- Transferable to most four-year, public colleges and
- Completed over a two-year period.
- Maintain reliable and consistent internet access.
- Complete the Reynolds Community College Application.
- Complete Placement Tests for English and Math. Students must place into English 111 (College Composition I) on the Virginia Placement Test for English and must place into a college-level mathematics course (at least Mathematics 163, Pre-Calculus) on the Virginia Placement Test for Mathematics no later than the summer between their junior and senior years. This will fulfill the Online General Education Certificate program’s pre-requisite requirement for taking a college-level math course in the fall semester of the senior year.
For Fall 2014 enrollment, school districts should provide the names and contact information of students who are interested in applying to Reynolds and enrolling in the Online General Education Certificate program on or before March 3, 2014. Contact:
Ms. Tracy Banks
Coordinator of Dual Enrollment
Reynolds Community College
The Reynolds Dual Enrollment staff will then contact students regarding next steps for applying, placement testing, and enrollment procedures. Accepted students will be enrolled as a cohort, which means Reynolds will designate specific online course sections each semester for only high school students who are enrolled in the program. Reynolds faculty will teach all courses. Since Reynolds will
offer the program to a maximum of 50 total students from all five of the school districts that it serves, Reynolds will accept the following student enrollments from districts:
Henrico County Public Schools - 20 students
Hanover County Public Schools - 10 students
City of Richmond Public Schools - 10 students
Goochland County Public Schools - 5 students
Powhatan County Public Schools - 5 students
In the case that a district does not use all of its available enrollment slots, Reynolds will reallocate the excess number to other districts.
Tuition and Fees
Students in the Online General Education Certificate program are considered Dual Enrollment students. Reynolds will invoice school districts for all student tuition and fees at the regular college per-credit-hour rate. Per Virginia Community College System policy, once payment is received from the school districts, Reynolds will reimburse each district 40 percent of the total tuition and fees. Each school district will determine the method of payment for the remainder of tuition and fees (e.g. subsidy by district, student/family payment, etc.). Given their dual enrollment status, students are not eligible for federal financial aid.
Transferability of Credits
Credits in this program are transferable to most colleges and universities within Virginia. Students planning to transfer credits from
this program are encouraged to research their course selection to ensure transferability. Students may contact the admissions office of the four-year college or use the Transfer Tool at www.schev.edu under “Students & Parents.”