Attire & Etiquette
All graduates who participate in the formal commencement ceremony will wear the traditional graduation attire (cap and gown, etc.). We ask that you please refrain from making inappropriate alterations to these. If you do not have your cap and gown, you will not be able to march on stage for graduation.
Students who are earning an AA, AS, or AAS are to wear the robe with the stole, hat and black tassel. If you have academic honors, the black tassel will be exchanged for a gold tassel. If you have joined Phi Theta Kappa or one of the other approved honor societies or are in a special program (listed below) you may wear the permitted regalia.
Students who are earning a certificate wear the robe, hat and tassel (no stole). If you are earning a certificate and have academic honors, the black tassel will be exchanged for a gold tassel. If you have joined Phi Theta Kappa or one of the other approved honor societies or are in a special program (listed below) you may wear the permitted regalia.
Students who are earning a CSC wear the robe, hat and tassel (no stole). CSC recipients are not eligible for honors and therefore are not permitted to wear a gold tassel or any of the regalia that represents honor societies.
The approved regalia for honor societies and special programs are:
|Phi Theta Kappa||blue and gold cords and stole|
|Tau Upsilon Alpha||blue and gold cords|
|ASL Honor Society||medal|
|Advance College Academy||medallion|
|Veterans||red, white and blue cord|
*Please do not wear items that are not on this approved list.
You may purchase your cap and gown at the Parham Road Campus or Downtown Campus bookstore. The bookstores will be selling these items in April. The bookstores are open 8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday-Thursday; 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Friday.
Purchase Graduation Regalia
Reynolds adopted a new style of graduation regalia. Students will no longer use the hood for the AA, AS, or AAS. These graduates will wear a burgundy stole. Graduates planning to use a cap and gown from a graduation prior to 2016, must purchase the stole.
Graduation regalia, frames, rings and invitations will be available beginning April, 2020 on the Parham and Downtown campuses.
If you are earning an AA, AS or AAS you will purchase:
|Cap, Gown and Tassel
If you are earning a certificate or career studies certificate you will purchase:
|Cap, gown, tassel||$43.00|
The Registrar will provide a list of graduates and candidates to each campus bookstore to aid us in having you purchase the correct regalia. If you are identified for honors (AA, AS, AAS or Certificate), the black tassel will be exchanged for the gold tassel.
Contact your campus bookstore:
Graduation Ceremony Etiquette
Reynolds Community College stresses a positive learning environment by displaying proper respect and courtesy. The Graduation Ceremony is a time to celebrate accomplishments. Please follow the guidelines listed below so that everyone can enjoy this special event.
- Guests should be seated by 9:45 a.m. during the processional (from 10:00 a.m. to 10:20 a.m.), there will be no entrance into the ceremony.
- Due to safety precautions, only graduates will be permitted in the staging area where we are preparing for the ceremony to begin.
- Please remember that Graduation is both a joyful as well as a formal event. We ask that you express your excitement in ways that will not prevent others from hearing the speakers and enjoying the ceremony.
- Other than taking pictures and video, the use of cellular phones is disruptive to both participants and guests. Please refrain from using all phones and pagers during the procession and ceremony.
- Food and drink should be consumed outside of the seating area.
- For reasons of safety and security, when taking a photo of or celebrating for a graduate, guests are not allowed to move toward or stand in aisles, including near the bottom rail or on the floor where graduates are seated.
- It is important that we leave the Siegel Center as we found it (clean and orderly) so the facility will be ready for use by others after we leave.
You may invite guests to attend the ceremony. There is no limitation on the number of guests you may bring and no tickets will be required. Guests may arrive as early as 9:00 a.m. as well. Please share all information in this letter with your guests, especially the parking location and fee. Remember to arrange a place to meet family and friends after the ceremony.
Reynolds made arrangements to have photographs taken as graduates received their diploma on stage. The photographs are now available to purchase through the vendor. There is no obligation to purchase photos.