Who Are We?
The goal of Retention Services is to provide resources and services to help students succeed.
CAD and Other Academic Holds
What is a hold?
A block that is placed on a student’s academic record which prohibits them from registering for classes until they meet with an appropriate college employee regarding the block.
How do I know when I have a hold on my record?
You will see on your academic record. Other non-academic holds exist. Clicking on will provide information on which type of hold you have.
What is a CAD (Credit Advising Required) hold?
A block that is placed on a student’s academic record when their cumulative GPA falls below a 2.0. These students must meet with an advisor.
What is an Academic Suspension or Academic Dismissal hold?
A block that is placed on a student’s academic record when they have been suspended or dismissed from Reynolds.
What do I do next?
Students with a CAD hold must meet with an academic advisor to discuss academic progress and have the hold removed.
What is Academic Warning?
1) a designation for students who have a GPA between under a 2.0 in a given semester (these students do not necessarily have a CAD hold unless their cumulative GPA dictates that one is needed); 2) a designation for students who have a cumulative GPA between a 1.5 and 2.0 (who have not previously been placed on academic probation)
What is Academic Probation?
A designation for students whose cumulative GPA falls below a 1.5 and who have attempted at least 12 credit hours; students will remain on academic probation until such time as their cumulative GPA is above 1.75
Who to contact to be advised and have the CAD hold removed?
- Curricular students (have selected a program of study as their major): Assigned faculty advisor (found in SIS under “student center”). If unable to reach assigned advisor after several attempts, you may meet with any faculty advisor in your academic school.
- Non-curricular students (have not chosen a program of study): any advisor in Advising Services.
What to do to prepare, prior to meeting with academic advisor?
- Complete the following assessment and bring it to your advising appointment.
What is Academic Suspension?
A designation for students whose cumulative GPA is lower than 1.5, who have attempted at least 24 credit hours and were on academic probation the previous semester
How long must a student “sit out”?
- One semester
Who to contact to be advised and have Retention Academic Suspension hold removed?
- Sarah Shutt (Counselor for Retention ) –firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an appointment prior to each registration period
What is Academic Dismissal?
A designation for students who do not maintain at least a 2.0 GPA for the semester they return after Academic Suspension or for students who do maintain at least a 2.0 GPA for the semester they return but do not maintain a 1.5 GPA in subsequent semesters
How long is a student dismissed from Reynolds?
- Normally this is permanent but, in the case of exceptional circumstances, students may submit the an appeal form to Advising Services or Office of the Registrar
SAILS is an early alert program designed to help students during the semester before they run into long-term academic trouble. If you receive an email from your instructor through this initiative, you may also receive one from the Student Success Coach for this program. To contact the Student Success Coach directly for academic help and specialized advising, email Eileen Scanlon – email@example.com – to schedule an appointment.