What If You Are Assaulted:
What to Do If You Are Assaulted:
- Get to a safe place as soon as possible.
- Call 911. If the Incident occurred on a Reynolds campus, contact Campus Police at (804) 523-5911.
- Try to preserve physical evidence. Do not bathe, change clothes, douche, eat, drink, brush your teeth or use the bathroom. If you must change your clothes, place the items in a paper bag – not plastic – and take them with you to the emergency room. This is very important if you decide to file a report later. Bring a change of clothes with you.
- Get medical attention as soon as possible. You need to be examined for injury, physical evidence, sexually transmitted diseases, and pregnancy as soon as possible, but no later than 72 hours after the assault. A specially trained sexual assault nurse examiner will perform DNA collection (Physical Evidence Recovery Kit - PERK), injury assessment, documentation, preventive medications and referrals to legal and support services. Going to the hospital to seek medical attention does not obligate you to report the crime.
- Contact someone to stay with you and support you.
- Consider contacting the YWCA Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence Hotline at (804) 612-6126 for hospital accompaniment, information, and support.
- Report on campus and initiate a Title IX investigation
- To start a criminal investigation, dial 911 or 523-5911 for Campus Police.
- For confidential support, please reach out to one or more of the following Confidential Community Resources:
- YWCA Sexual and Domestic Violence Hotline: Chesterfield and Richmond – 804-612-6126
- Safe Harbor Hotline (Henrico) – (804) 249-9470
- LBGTQ Partner Abuse and Sexual Assault Hotline – (866) 356-6998
- Greater Richmond Regional Hotline: 804-612-6126
- Family Violence and Sexual Assault Virginia Hotline: 800-838-8238 (phone) or 804-793-9999 (text)