1. The decision to close the college, cancel classes,
or delay opening will be made by the college president.
2. When conditions mandate an unscheduled closing, the decision will be announced via:
the Reynolds Alert text message system, on the college information line (804-371-3000), the Reynolds website, JSRTV (Comcast 96), WRVA radio and WTVR TV Channel 6, and other radio and television stations as quickly as possible.
There may be occasions when bad weather, or an emergency, health, and/or safety condition affects certain areas of the college’s service region. If this occurs, the announcement will state specific geographic areas, i.e., "Reynolds classes in Goochland and Powhatan County will be canceled," or "Reynolds classes in the City of Richmond will be canceled."
Sign up for text message alerts
3. When the college is closed in the morning, the announcement should be made no later than 6 a.m.
4. Evening classes may be held even though day classes are canceled or evening classes may be canceled when day classes are held. Announcements about evening classes will be made between 3:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. or earlier, if possible. Evening classes are defined as those beginning at 6:00 p.m. or later.
5. If the announcement states “classes will resume at XX:XX,” all classes scheduled to begin on or after that time will meet. Additionally, classes scheduled to begin before that stated time that would still be in session will meet for that portion of class time remaining.
6. All students are urged to use sound judgment in their attempt to honor this policy. In some instances, road conditions might be extremely hazardous and taking the risk of driving might not be in the best interest and welfare of the student. In cases where road conditions prevent a student from attending classes, the student will not be penalized academically.
Last Edited: March 1, 2010