Interested in becoming a member of Student Senate? Fill out a Senate Petition form.
What is the Student Senate?
- A recognized Reynolds student organization composed of up to 7 students appointed to represent the students (Representatives are from Parham Road Campus, Downtown Campus and Goochland Campus)
- Student Senate members advocate on behalf of the student body for issues and topics of interest to students at the college
- Student Senate members represent the student body by participating in discussions with the College President and other administrative leaders of the institution, attending committee meetings and communicating to students about important policies and procedures
- Essentially the Student Senate members represent all students all Reynolds and serve as the student voice on important College issues and decisions
- The Senate has an executive cabinet (Chairperson, Vice Chairperson, Secretary and Communications Director) elected by the student body.
What does it take to become a member of the Student Senate?
- Potential Senators must be a current curricular student at Reynolds who has completed (6) credit hours and is enrolled in at least six (6) credit hours at Reynolds
- Interested candidates complete a petition for candidacy.
- Two letters of recommendation. These letters can be from a teacher, community leader, pastor/church leader, etc. Letters of recommendation are not permitted from a family member.
- Copy of upcoming Fall schedule from SIS (once completed).
- Elected in the Fall of the upcoming school year.
What are the benefits of being a Student Senator?
- Develop leadership skills which are sought after by employees and four-year colleges
- Represent your fellow students and serve the college community
- Build relationships with college administrators, faculty and staff
- Receive up to a $1000 stipend contingent upon the completion of responsibilities