2021 Commencement Ceremony
This is a historic event! We are thrilled to host in-person Commencement ceremonies for the first time on our Parham Road campus this spring! Based on Governor Northam’s guidance, we holding two outdoor ceremonies on Saturday, May 15, 2021. This page has important information you will need to know.
Advance registration was mandatory but is now closed. Graduates were able to invite two guests to attend their ceremonies. Only guests with tickets may attend the in-person event.
A link to the livestream of the ceremony will be posted on this page, and will be emailed to all participating graduates. A digital program will also be available.
The map below shows important areas for the day. You can open a copy here.
Ceremonies will be held on the Parham Road Campus in front of the Massey Library Technology Center. Your school is listed under the ceremony time, either 10 a.m. or 2 p.m. For more information and questions, see FAQs.
Graduates who pre-registered to attend should plan to arrive one hour prior to their ceremony start time. Here's what you need to know:
- The main entrance to the Parham Road Campus will be closed. All cars should enter through the Sanctuary Drive entrance. Reynolds police officers will direct you.
- If you are riding with your guests, they can drop you off in the graduate line up area behind Burnette Hall (marked in Green on map above) and proceed to guest parking (marked in Red on this map).
- If you are driving yourself, please park in Lot I (marked in Orange on the map above).
- If you or your guests require handicap parking, please go to the Handicap Parking lot (marked in Yellow on the map above). A valid state-issued handicap license plate or active handicap permit is required.
- Based on state guidance to minimize the spread of coronavirus, specific health and safety measures will be in effect for those attending.
- All participants will be required to wear face masks and maintain proper social distancing at all times while on campus.
- In-person ceremonies will take place rain or shine and will not be rescheduled or moved indoors due to state guidance. Both ceremonies will be streamed online for those unable to attend.
Schools at each ceremony:
• The School of Business
• The School of Health Professions
• The School of Humanities and Social Sciences
• The School of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematic
Check-in for Graduates Pre-Registered to Attend
Please arrive 1 hour before your ceremony and report to the Graduate Check-in. You will receive a marching card with your name and number to line up for the processional in the correct order. Leave all personal belongings including purses with your guests. We regret that Reynolds cannot take responsibility for any lost or stolen items.
- Wear your regalia upon arrival.
- Masks are required at all times while on campus.
- Comfortable shoes are highly encouraged - you will be walking a significant distance and up a flight of stairs to the stage.
- Remember, this event is rain or shine so please watch the weather and plan accordingly as the seating is outdoors and uncovered. If raining, you may bring an umbrella.
You should’ve received a confirmation email with a PDF document of your guest tickets. Please bring a paper copy, or a digital copy with the QR code on a mobile device. Tickets will be scanned at guest check-in. If you did not receive your tickets, email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
The safety and health of our students, guests, faculty and staff are our highest priority. Please adhere to all COVID protocols in place.
- If you or your guests have any COVID symptoms or have been exposed or tested positive within the last 14 days, please remain home.
- Masks are required at all times while on campus.
- Please maintain a safe social-distance throughout the ceremony
- We ask that graduates and guests refrain from gathering on campus. Please exit campus promptly after the ceremony.
Viewing Link for Family and Friends
The Commencement ceremonies will be live-streamed online for your friends and family to view. A link to the livestream of the ceremonies will be posted above on the day of graduation.
There will be a photographer onsite taking photos of each graduate walking across the stage. You will receive information on how to access these photos after the ceremony.
Graduate slides will be used in an opening slideshow prior to the ceremony for guests to view as they wait. You will be sent a copy of your slide after the ceremonies.
Please review the FAQs so you are aware of the guidelines for the day.
Congratulations on your accomplishments! We look forward to celebrating with you on May 15!
Regalia is available from the Bookstore.
Please see Regalia for more information, pricing, and a Bookstore Coupon. Regalia IS required to march in the in-person ceremonies.
• Order by Friday, May 7 to receive by Saturday, May 15 (to wear in ceremony)
*Note, shipping not available the last week prior to the ceremony. Pick up orders only.
Caps/gowns/tassels are encouraged in your graduate slide photos, but are not required.
SPECIAL ACCOMMODATIONS FOR GRADUATES
If you have any questions concerning the ceremony, or if you are requesting reasonable accommodations for a disability, please contact the Office of the Registrar at 804-523-5030 or email@example.com by May 3. The office may be unable to accommodate requests received after this date. We are unable to make accommodations for guests.
Students who have fulfilled the requirements for an AA, AS, AAS degree or a certificate program are eligible for graduation honors (students completing career studies certificates are ineligible for graduation honors). The honors based upon scholastic achievement are as follows:
Graduating GPA cumulative
3.200 Cum laude (with honor)
3.500 Magna cum laude (with high honor)
3.800 Summa cum laude (with highest honor)
Applying for Summer 2021 Graduation
Students must complete the graduation application online through the Student Information System. The online application makes for a more efficient graduation process while ensuring accuracy of information for diplomas and graduation correspondence. The summer application deadline is June 30, 2021.
How to apply (Graduation Application Tutorial video)
A curricular student eligible for graduation is required to complete and submit the online application for graduation for each degree, certificate or career studies certificate program by the deadline for that semester or term. Students applying from more than one plan shall include all plans on the application. If a student files for graduation, but does not graduate, the student must reapply for a later graduation date. Students may graduate after fall, spring or summer terms.
To be awarded a degree or certificate, students must complete all program requirements as specified in their catalog with a minimum of 25% of credits earned at Reynolds.
- Students must earn a grade point average of at least 2.000 in the curriculum.
- Students must submit all documentation of training, education, or tests from organizations outside of Reynolds to the Office of the Registrar Office by the last day of classes in the final semester. All Reynolds courses must also be completed by the last day of classes in the final semester. Incomplete grades must also be completed by the last day of classes to be used for graduation. The School Dean for the curriculum must recommend the student for graduation, and the Registrar must certify completion of all graduation requirements.
- The student must resolve all financial obligations with Reynolds and must return all library and college materials.