The American Romantics in Italy
Classes are held at Reynolds Community College.
ENG 295: The American Romantics in Italy
(course required for all participants)
May 22-June 26 (1st Five Weeks) | Tue/Thu | 6 p.m. - 10:20 p.m.
Reynolds Community College | Parham Road Campus
Because this course is required of all participants it is designed to provide added value to the experience of traveling to Italy. Class sessions include course instruction in 19th American Romantic writers, their travel to Italy, and the literature they created as a result. This course also includes a course packet with detailed information about the trip, practical travel information, background lectures on Italian history and culture, language instruction, visual presentations, videos, an optional visit to the Barboursville Winery, and authentic Italian food! Course syllabus is available.
3 credit hours (literature or transfer elective credit)
Course Tuition: $476.55
14 Days in Italy
Depart: Tuesday, June 27 from Richmond
Return: Tuesday, July 11 from Rome
Trip Cost: (for 25 participants)
$4389 per person: Single Accommodations (1 person to a room)
$3799 per person: Double Accommodations (2 people to a room)
$3715 per person: Triple Accommodations (3 people to a room)
Suggested Payment Plan
Payment 1: $800 by December 1, 2016
Payment 2: $1200 by February 15, 2017
Payment 3: $1200 by April 30, 2017
Payment 4: Balance Due by May 20, 2017
Notes from the professor: EDU Trips has partnered with us to offer this amazing opportunity. I have researched similar 14-day Italian tours through Go Ahead Tours, Perillo, Rick Steves’ Europe, Trafalgar, and Globus. These tours cost anywhere from $4500-$5500 double occupancy; they do not include entrance fees or cultural events and often offer optional excursions that cost extra. All-inclusive tours cost much more. I could not find any tours that include the range of experiences and cultural events I have included in this trip in the price range offered by EDU Trips.This is a custom tour based on my own visits to Italy and these prices are an unbelievable value for peak summer travel, especially given the central location of all of our hotels and the inclusion of all excursions, entrance fees, and tickets for cultural events such as the Verona Opera.
Program fee includes:
- Airfare Round trip Richmond to Italy (includes airport transfers)
- Luxury motor coach in selected cities (with bottled water included daily); Private Boat in Venice; 3-Day Metro Card in Rome.
- Hotel accommodations (double or triple occupancy) in beautiful, centrally-located 3- and 4-star hotels in Venice, Florence, Rome, and Sorrento
- Full breakfast daily
- Three (3) lunches (Bologna, the Altarroca Winery in Orvieto, and Naples)
- Five (5) dinners (Venice, Verona, Florence, Amalfi overlooking the Mediterranean, and a closing banquet in Rome)
- Excursions to Padua, Bologna, Fiesole, Pompeii, and Naples
- ALL entrance fees to museums.
- Venice: Tour of Teatro la Fenice, St. Mark’s Square Museums Pass
- Florence: Galleria dell’ Accademia, Museo dell’ Opera del Duomo, Uffizzi (including a tour of the Vasari Corridor), and Brancacci chapel in the Church of Santa Maria del Carmine
- Rome: Vatican all access pass, admission to the Galleria Borghese
- ALL admissions to historical sites including the Pompeii archaeological site and the Mt. Vesuvius crater, the Catacombs of San Gennaro, tour of the Colosseum including a visit to the underground chambers, and the Roman Forum & Palatine Hill
- Guided tour of Padua University (including admission to the Botanical Gardens, Observatory & Museum of La Specola)
- Guided walking tour of the Quadrilatera Medieval Market district in Bologna
- Registration of all travelers with local embassies and U.S. Department of State
- ALL taxes, surcharges, gratuities, and applicable fees
- Travel and Medical Insurance ($155+)
- Tickets to Verona Opera Aida
- Tickets to Venice Biennale Pavilions
**Participants will be responsible for additional meals and personal expenses**
To reserve your space, complete a Participant Form and submit your first payment.