International Student Admissions
J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College is authorized under Federal law to enroll nonimmigrant students.
The deadline for submission of international student applications with accompanying documentation is
June 1 for our Fall semester that begins in August and October 1 for our
Spring semester that begins in January.
International Student Advisor
for more information and to request an International Student packet for admission. F-1 applicants
will be considered for admission to an Associate degree program or to the ESL program
depending on TOEFL test scores. Admission is not guaranteed and is particularly selective for A.A. and A.S.
(university transfer) degree programs. The college does not admit F-1 applicants
to programs in which the majority of classes are taken via distance learning.
The international student applicant must:
- Submit all international application materials and documents to the International Student Advisor in the
Central Admissions and Records Office by the appropriate deadline. Deadlines vary due to the processing time that is required based on the applicant's current visa or immigration status.
- Submit official original language and official English translations of all high school/secondary
or college/university academic records.
All applicants must be high school graduates and provide an official transcript
that indicates the graduation date.
- Submit the completed Affidavit of Support with two current (no older than six months) financial documents.
This will demonstrate the sponsor's ability to pay for all educational expenses at the out-of-state tuition rates
as well as personal expenses. A letter from the sponsor's employer is also required to verify employment status and yearly salary.
- Demonstrate that English is the native language, or an acceptable level of proficiency in English. The college requires a score of 80 on the TOEFL iBT or a minimum score of 6.5 on the IELTS for admission to an academic program. A minimum score of 28 on the TOEFL iBT or a score of 5.0 on the IELTS is required for admission to the ESL program. Information on the TOEFL can be found at www.ets.org/TOEFL, and information on the IELTS can be found at www.ielts.org. All admitted F-1 students are required to complete placement testing in English as a Second Language and math upon arrival at the college.
- The college will administer the COMPASS ESL test to
students who are in the Richmond area. These ESL tests may be waived for applicants with
college/university degrees where English is the language of instruction,
or if they receive transfer college credit for ENG 111 (English Composition).
The ESL curriculum is designed for individuals with a basic knowledge of
- Applicants who currently reside in the U.S. and are eligible to change from
USCIS status will be required to submit additional documents (and in some cases
additional fees to
USCIS). F-1 students transferring from other U.S. colleges must have completed an entire semester at the initial college.
In order to maintain valid F-1 status, international students who enroll at the college agree to comply with all Immigration requirements as explained on their Form I-20, including full-time enrollment each semester. The International Student Advisor will provide complete information upon the student's arrival at the college.
For additional information contact