Crime Awareness & Prevention
We encourage all students, faculty, staff and visitors to take an
active role in their own safety and security while on campus. By
following these guidelines, you can help maintain a safe environment
for everyone at the college.
- Walk in well-lighted and well-traveled areas after dark.
- Walk with a friend or call the Department of Police for
- Immediately report all suspicious persons, vehicles, or activities to
Police & Security Services.
- Immediately report all crimes, security-related problems, and
hazardous conditions to the Department of Police .
- Keep yourself informed. Check campus email and bulletin
boards for campus alert notices which pertain to specific security
conditions on campus.
- Take advantage of informational and crime prevention programs
sponsored on campus.
- Never study alone in an isolated area of a campus building.
- Lock your car and secure valuables when using campus parking
- Become familiar with emergency exits and the locations of fire
alarms and fire extinguishers.
- Lock offices when not present. Do not loan keys to anyone.
An informed campus community can significantly reduce the occurrence
of crime on campus. Security procedures, crime prevention, substance
abuse, fire safety, and sexual assault are topics covered during
new student orientation and in a number of programs during the academic
year on each campus. Several groups and organizations, such
as the SGA, the Henrico Police Department, the Virginia State Police,
and the Virginians Against Domestic Violence provide speakers, literature
and other programs throughout the academic year.
>> Department of Police Policies
>> Campus Crime Statistics