Admissions & Records
New Student Orientation
Student Related Policies
|Contacts and Locations: [Back to top]|
The Testing Centers will not be open on the Saturdays in weeks that the College observes a national holiday.
|Downtown Testing Center
Open 1st and 3rd Saturdays
|Parham Road Campus
Georgiadis Hall, Room 210
Open 2nd and 4th Saturdays
Building C-20 Room 239
Tests are administered at the Downtown and Parham Road campuses Monday – Saturday. Tests are given on the first and third Saturday of each month at the Downtown Campus and on the second and fourth Saturday of each month at the Parham Road Campus. In the months that have a fifth Saturday, neither campus testing center will be open. At the Goochland Campus, tests are administered by appointment only. The Downtown and Parham Road Campus Testing Centers open at 9 a.m.
Last Seating for Tests
Compass Placement Test for English and Math, Virginia Placement Test for English and Math, Ability to Benefit (ATB), ASSET, Kaplan Nursing Entrance Exam, Kaplan Nursing Exit Exam, CSC 155 Credit by Able Test, ITE 115 Credit by Able Test and ServSafe.
|Mon||4:30 p.m.||4:30 p.m.||N/A||4:30 pm|
|Tues||4:30 p.m.||4:30 p.m.||11:30 am||4:30 pm|
|Wed||4:30 p.m.||4:30 p.m.||4:30 pm||4:30 pm|
|Thurs||4:30 p.m.||4:30 p.m.||11:30 am||4:30 pm|
|Fri||11:30 a.m.||11:30 a.m.||N/A||11:30 am|
|Sat||9:00 a.m.||9:00 a.m.||N/A||9:00 am|
|Mon||6:00 p.m.||6:00 p.m.||N/A|
|Tues||6:00 p.m.||6:00 p.m.||12:00 p.m.|
|Wed||6:00 p.m.||6:00 p.m.||6:00 p.m.|
|Thurs||6:00 p.m.||6:00 p.m.||12:00 p.m.|
|Fri||1:00 p.m.||1:00 p.m.||N/A|
|Sat||11:00 a.m.||11:00 a.m.||N/A|
|Tuesday||12:00 p.m.||Wednesday||6:00 p.m.||Thursday||12:00 p.m.|
Both the Parham Road Testing Center and the Downtown Campus Testing center will be open with normal testing hours on the following Saturdays:
Saturday, April 20, 2013
Saturday, April 27, 2013
Saturday, May 4, 2013
9 a.m. only, VPT Math and English Placement, COMPASS Placement, ASSET, ATB (Ability to Benefit), KAPLAN Nursing Entrance and Exit Exams, ITE 115, CSC 155 and ServSafe
9 a.m. – 11 a.m., Make-up and Distance Learning Tests
The Testing Centers will proctor only two tests per day per student.
Paying for Tests
There is no cost for placement tests. ITE 115 Credit by Able must be purchased in the bookstore for $22. Check the bookstore website for hours and price changes.
Tests Administered in the Testing Centers [Back to top]
1. Compass Placement Test and Virginia Placement Test for English and Math (VPT)
• The Compass Placement Test and the VPT are designed to assess new students in the academic areas of reading, writing and math. This assessment determines which developmental courses, if any, students must take in order to prepare for credit-level courses. It is very important that you take this test seriously as the placement test determines the English and Math courses that you will take at JSRCC. Students may take the test only once in a four month period.
• All applications for admissions to the college must be submitted and processed and a JSRCC student number assigned prior to taking placement tests. Click here to enroll
• The test is not timed. The entire test – Math and English – could take approximately 2-5 hours to complete.
• A six ($6) dollar fee which must be paid in cash at the Business Office.
The Business Offices are open Monday, Tuesday and Thursday between the hours of
8:30 am - 5 pm and Fridays, 8:30 am - 3 pm. On Wednesdays, the Business Office is open 8:30 am - 7 pm. If you plan on taking a test on Saturday, you will need to make a payment Monday through Friday. The $6 fee is a “per sitting” fee. If you take the placement tests on different days, you will need to pay both times. To contact the Business Offices, call the Parham Road Campus at 804-523-5212, the Downtown Campus at 804-523-5285, or the Goochland Campus at 804-523-5404.
• Compass Placement Test and Virginia Placement Test for English and Math (VPT)
2. Smarter Measure
Are you interested in taking Distance Learning courses at JSRCC? Take our assessment to see if you are ready for online learning. The assessment will take approximately 45 minutes to complete.
To take the assessment:
1. Be sure that you are already admitted as a student at JSRCC
2. Have your Student ID number on hand
3.Go to http://reynolds.smartermeasure.com/
4. Select the current semester as your Username.
5. Type in Reynolds as your Password
3. Placement Testing for High School Dual Enrollment
• Contact the JSRCC Dual Enrollment (804-523-5789) and/or your High School Guidance Counselor prior to scheduling this test.
4. Ability-to-Benefit Assessment Test
• Students who pass this test may be admitted to the college as either non-curricular or curricular students, provided they also have satisfied other admission requirements.
• For more detailed information, contact the Office of Admissions, 523-5029, or a Student Success Centers at Parham- 523-5368 or Downtown- 523-5455.
5. Special Accommodations Tests for students with disabilities
• Contact 804-523-5628 for Downtown or 804-523-5290 for Parham Road and Goochland.
6. Distance Learning Testing
• Students enrolled in Distance Learning Course(s) utilize the Testing Center for test administration.
• Distance Learning students must print out and bring their test ticket from Blackboard with them in order for a test to be administered. Students will not be allowed to print test tickets or check e-mail in the testing centers.
•Distance Learning students must also bring their JSRCC Student ID card. A valid picture ID and the student ID number can be used in place of a JSRCC Student ID card.
7. Testing for Students attending other Virginia Community Colleges
• Students enrolled in Distance Learning Courses at other Virginia Community College System schools are able to have tests proctored at the JSRCC Testing Center.
• Contact the Testing Center to make an appointment and for additional information as there is required paper work for other VCCS students.
8. Computer Literacy Tests
• Students in programs that require ITE 115 or CSC 155 can satisfy the computer competency course requirement in the curriculum by passing the college’s computer competency or Credit by Able exam administered in the Testing Centers.
• For the ITE 115 Credit by Able test, you will need to purchase an access code from a JSRCC bookstore.
• There is no fee for CSC 155 Credit by Able testing.
• View The Computer Competency website or contact the Testing Center for details.
9. Kaplan Nursing Entrance and Exit ExamsServSafe Tests
• Students should contact the Testing Center for details.
• There is currently no fee for the Kaplan Nursing exams. An information sheet is available at the Parham Road and Downtown Campus Testing Centers.
• 10. The JSRCC ESL Placement Test
• For more information about the ESL Placement Test contact the ESL Department at (804)523-5020 between 8:30am and 5:00pm Monday through Friday.
Information for Faculty: [Back to top]
Information for Distance Learning Classes:
1. If you are a Distance Learning faculty member, please note that all tests should be sent to the Distance Learning Office where they will be processed and made available to the Testing Centers. Questions should be directed to the Center for Distance Learning at 523-5612. Distance learning tests brought directly to the Testing Center by faculty will not be proctored.
2. Distance Learning students must have a complete and current test ticket. Please see the Center for Distance Learning‘s internal website for the form. Students lacking a current test ticket with all required information will not have tests proctored for them and will be directed to contact their instructor.
3. Each test that a faculty member provides to the Testing Center must contain a time limit for the test. Tests that do not have time limits established by the faculty member will default to a 2 hour time limit. Any requests for a longer testing time should be made by the instructor to the Testing Center in advance.
4. Tests to be administered in the Testing Centers must have clear start and end date for test administration. The recommendation for this test window is two (2) weeks with no more than a four (4) week testing period.
5. Students will be limited to the number of tests that they can take during the course of a week. Specifically, students will be restricted to no more than two (2) tests per day, per course.
6. Please email the student(s) if you are giving an extension on a test; students will need to bring the email to the Testing Center in order to take the test that is past due. No past due test will be proctored without this written permission.
7. We encourage faculty to clearly advise students via course syllabus and other communiqué of the parameters for meeting the testing requirements including testing times. Testing Centers close early on Fridays and Saturdays.
Information for Make-up Tests:
1. Each makeup test must have a completed (in its entirety) coversheet. Please see the internal website to download coversheets (form number 75-8000).
2. Tests that arrive without a completed coversheet will not be proctored.
3. Each test that a faculty member provides to the Testing Center must contain a time limit for the test. Tests that do not have time limits established by the faculty member will default to a 2 hour time limit. Make up tests will have a time limit that is equal to the duration of an in-class test. Any requests for a longer testing time should be made by the instructor to the Testing Center in advance.
4. Please email the student(s) if you are giving an extension on a test; students will need to bring the email to the Testing Center in order to take the test that is past due.
5. We encourage faculty to clearly advise students via course syllabus and other communiqué of the parameters for meeting the testing requirements including testing times. Testing Centers close early on Fridays and Saturdays.