Mellon Pathways Program
The Mellon Pathways Program is a new partnership between Reynolds Community College, Brightpoint Community College, and Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU). The program offers pathways, resources, and support for students who are completing their associate's degree at Reynolds or Tyler and planning to transfer to VCU to complete their bachelor's degree in the arts or humanities.
Students participating in the Mellon Pathways Program also have the opportunity to apply to become a Mellon Research Fellow, where they will receive a stipend to support conducting a research project with a faculty member and presenting their work at a year-end colloquium.
Being a part of the Mellon Pathways Program provides students with access to resources and a support system to enhance their academic success. It also gives them an opportunity to save money on tuition by taking classes at the community college that count: count towards their degree, count in their future, and count for transfer.
Mellon Pathways Program
The Mellon Pathways Program offers pathways, resources, and support for students who are completing an associate's degree at Reynolds and planning to transfer to VCU to complete their Bachelor's degree in the arts or humanities.
A: We encourage applications from students who plan to complete their associate's degree at Reynolds and then transfer to VCU for a Bachelor's degree and:
- are interested in one of the Pathways Program majors
- have completed 15 or fewer credits at time of declaration, or with permission of the program director.
- are able to attend a half-day orientation at Reynolds
A: Students will receive enhanced advising about course selection, transfer logistics, and financial aid, along with major and career exploration, and additional support through and after the transfer process. In addition, as part of the Pathways Program, students will:
- Participate in free activities, events, and workshops at VCU, at Reynolds, and around Richmond.
- Become acquainted with VCU before transfer and be part of a supportive community of students and faculty.
- Have additional internship opportunities and preparation for career and graduate school goals.
- Have the chance to become a Mellon Research Fellow and receive a $5000 stipend.
- Have access to scholarships reserved specifically for students in the program.
- Become dually admitted to VCU in your first year at Reynolds, and have guaranteed admission to VCU, for those who participate in and successfully complete the Pathways Program.
A: This program is open to students who plan to study African American Studies, Anthropology, Art History, Interdisciplinary Studies, English, Foreign Language, Gender, Sexuality & Women's Studies, History, International Studies, Mass Communication, Music, Philosophy, Religious Studies, or Theater, undecided with interest in humanities or arts.
A: Each semester, each student will choose three Pathways Program social gatherings, workshops, campus tours, cultural outings, online modules or other events and have two advising sessions with their Transfer Coach and/or Transfer Coordinator. Continuation in the program requires:
- Maintaining a 2.50 GPA and completing at least 6 degree-applicable credits with a C or better each fall and spring semester.
- Completing ENG 111 and the first college-level MTH course in the semester immediately following completion of any MTE or ENF courses (excluding summer), and completion of ENG 111 and ENG 112 and the first college-level MTH course with a C or better in the first 30 credits.
A: Yes! This program is open to all incoming, returning, and current students with 15 or fewer credits.
A: If a student has more than 15 academic credits, but has at least three semesters left at Reynolds and would like to participate in the program, please contact your Reynolds transfer coach, Paul Williams ,to discuss and determine possible eligibility.
A: Log in to your VCCS/Reynolds email account and fill in the online declaration form to be considered for Mellon Pathways. Declarations will be accepted year-round.
Mellon Research Fellows
The Mellon Research Fellows Program is one element in the Mellon Pathways Program, and all students in the Pathways Program can apply to be Mellon Research Fellows.
Mellon Research Fellows are motivated Mellon Pathways Program students who will:
- work with a faculty member on a research project
- present at end-of-year colloquium
- participate in at least one Mellon Program cultural activity or workshop per semester
Mellon Research Fellows receive:
- preparation for upper-level university work
- enhanced mentorship and advising
- a $5000 stipend for the school year for use towards tuition, books, school supplies and equipment, professional development and student activities
Up to eight Mellon Research Fellows will be accepted into this program each year. If you are interested in becoming a Mellon Research Fellow, please contact your transfer coach, Paul Williams. apply by March 15 of your first year at Reynolds. Selection of the Mellon Research Fellows will be based on application essay, GPA and other evidence of commitment to obtaining a Bachelor's degree.
Paul Williams, Reynolds Transfer Coach at firstname.lastname@example.org or 804-523-5078
Ian Coyle, VCU Transfer Coordinator, at email@example.com or 804-827-8216
Micol Hutchison, Program Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 804-819-4978
Current Pathways Program Participant Resources
e-Portfolio login https://login.taskstream.com/signon/
*Please remember that your Login is your vccs email address without the @email.vccs.edu part
Pathways Program Student Information folder: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/2/folders/1geWMF3oLyZp029WG5AVUeq4eR1URw34R
Mellon Pathways Program Application
*Students must be logged in to their VCCS account to open the form