GH Hall

Work Study

What is Federal Work Study?
The Federal Work Study Program provides part-time jobs for students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to each student’s course of study. Since Federal Work Study is a campus-based program, funding is limited and this type of assistance usually goes to the earliest applicants with the highest need. Funds may become available throughout the year as students do not work their full amount of eligibility.

Are Federal Work Study jobs on campus or off campus?
Both. If you work on campus, you’ll work for Reynolds. If you work off campus, your employer will usually be a nonprofit organization or a public agency, and the work performed must be in the public interest. 

How much will I make?

You’ll earn at least the current federal minimum wage, but the amount might be higher depending on the type of work you do and the skills required. Your total Federal Work-Study award depends on when you apply, your level of need, and the funding level of your school. Reynolds currently pays $10.00 an hour for on-campus jobs and $11.00 an hour for off-campus jobs.

Can I work as many hours as I want?

No. The amount you earn can’t exceed your total Federal Work Study award. When assigning work hours, your employer and/or the work study coordinator will consider your class schedule and your academic progress.

How do I apply?
For additional information regarding the Federal Work Study Program, and to see if you are eligible, please contact Work Study Coordinator Peggy Hawthorne-Wood at