As a college student, it is important that you are comfortable with the technology available to help you communicate with your professors, complete your assignments, and succeed with your academics. Occasionally, you may run into an issue and require assistance.
The Reynolds Tech Support page covers the following topics in more detail.
- Free Student Software
- Printing at Reynolds
- Configuring VCCS Student Email Accounts on Mobile Devices
- Student Computing Initiative
- Information Technology Student Acceptable Use Agreement
- Recommended Cybersecurity Practices
Login Help Articles
Commonly Used Applications
- Student Information System (SIS) - used for course registration, transcript evaluation, etc.
- Gmail - used for official email communication with faculty, staff and other students
- Canvas - used for completing assignments, viewing course grades, etc.
To ensure that your Internet browser is fully compatible with Canvas, you should click the image link identify your browser version. If your browser is up-to-date, then it should work with Canvas.
Browser Version Identifier
To view your Canvas course content on a mobile device, please download the Canvas Student app . Android: iPhone/iPad:
Click on an image link to download the software to your computer.
Formerly called Microsoft Imagine, OnTheHub is available to students each semester that are actively enrolled in an ITD, ITE, ITN, ITP or a CSC course. Choose from a vast library of Information Technology software such as Norton Security and Adobe Creative Cloud.
Available to all currently employed faculty and staff and currently enrolled students each semester to create and edit files using programs from the Microsoft Office suite.
- The procedure for students to download/install Office 365 can be found here.
- The procedure for faculty and staff to download/install Office 365 can be found here.
- The current hardware and software requirements for installing Office 365 on a Windows or a Mac computer can be found here.
The VCCS (Virginia Community College System) is now providing up to 1 terabyte (TB) of storage for students to store documents using the Microsoft OneDrive for Business and Microsoft Office Online services through the Student Advantage Portal. To learn more about this service, please click the link below view the official documentation.
Microsoft OneDrive and Office Online Guide
Warning: To continue to access your stored documents in your Microsoft OneDrive account, you must be a current student at Reynolds Community College or another VCCS institution.
Reynolds Community College has switched printing systems -- from Equitrac to PaperCut. The new system will allow students to use their MyReynolds student accounts or customized guest accounts to load funds as necessary in order to print documents and website information in both black and white, and color.
Another benefit of PaperCut is that students can use their personal computers or mobile devices to access their accounts and send documents to the print queue at any time, without having to physically be in one of the campus libraries. Students can then print out their documents from the library at their convenience.
To view the guide for using the new PaperCut printing system, go to http://library.reynolds.edu/printing.
Students can access their email account from their mobile device so that they can stay in touch with Reynolds faculty, staff and other students. An instruction guide is provided here that will show step-by-step instructions for configuring a VCCS student email account on any mobile device via the Gmail app.
Students are strongly encouraged to purchase a personally-owned computer or use a computer in one of the campus Computer Labs/Libraries to foster academic growth at Reynolds Community College.
Recommended Minimum Specifications for Adequate Performance on a Personally-Owned Computer:
- Operating System: Windows 10 Home or greater, or macOS 10.13 (High Sierra) or greater
- Memory: At least 4 GB (gigabytes) of RAM
- Networking: An Ethernet port and WiFi capability
- Processor: 2.9 GHz (gigahertz) processor or greater
- Display: 1280 x 1084 resolution or greater
- Hard Drive: A solid-state hard drive (SSD) with at least 150 GB of free space; can be supplemented with a thumb drive that has at least 32 GB of free space
- Battery (laptops only): 6-cell battery
- Security: Firewall-enabled with some type of antivirus software installed
- Software: Microsoft Office 2016 or later, Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (to view PDF files), and a file backup application* such as Dropbox or Google Drive
* While the VCCS provides students with a couple of different file backup applications -- notably Google Drive and Microsoft OneDrive -- to use with their school Gmail accounts, it is recommended that students also create their own personal accounts with these applications to retain access to their files long after they stop attending a community college.
An external hard drive with at least 128 GB of free space can be substituted for a file backup application if you wish to have offline access to your files.
- Other: At least 1 or 2 USB ports
Academic pricing discounts are available on major computer/tablet brands including:
|HP||Dell||Apple||Microsoft||Amazon Prime Student|
- To make a purchase through Apple, click here. Note: You must login with an existing Apple ID or create a new one.
- To make a purchase through Best Buy, click here.
- To make a purchase through Dell [University], click here.
- To make a purchase through the Microsoft Education Store, click here.
- To make a purchase through Amazon Prime Student, click here.
Warning: To take advantage of these academic pricing discounts, you must be a current student at Reynolds Community College or another VCCS institution.
The phrase current student means that you are either actively enrolled in classes for the current semester, or that you are not actively enrolled in classes for the current semester but you did enroll in classes the previous semester.
You are not considered a current student (and are deemed ineligible to to take advantage of academic pricing discounts) if you have not been enrolled in classes for the previous two semesters or longer. Eligibility would be restored during the semester that you do re-enroll in classes.
The VCCS and Reynolds Information Technology Student Acceptable Use Agreement covers the college's policies regarding ethical behavior concerning the use of computers and technology on campus. The language of this agreement is included in the Policies and Procedures section in the College Catalog: https://www.reynolds.edu/_onlinecatalog/current/catalog.pdf.
Top Ten Safe Computing Tips, from MIT